Friday, October 23, 2015

2015 Tri Season Part II

On to the rest of the season...

My next Tri was for redemption.  I continued to train and each and every swim workout scared the crap out of me.  Not because I thought I was going drown or because it was so difficult, rather, it was because it was still my strength.  I knew I had failed in KC despite having trained hard.  Psychologically I was hurting, physically I was get stronger and stronger.  So off to Michigan I went.  I needed a win...

Tri Goddess Tri is a phenomenal race put on by Epic Races outside of Jackson, MI.  It is an all women's race.  So many first timers and the energy is just fantastic.  The morning of the race the forecast was for rain.  As we readied our spots in transition we all prayed the storms would blow over.  As we made our way down to the beach for the National Anthem and start it looked as though our prays were going to be answered.  No rain, the clouds looked as though they were headed south of us.  Off we went, out into the water for the half mile swim.

My goal was to finish the swim.  After KC I needed that and that alone.  My race depended on the first 25 minutes.  As I entered the water I started slow.  I intentionally just tried to find a rhythm.  I found it quickly (much to my surprise).  Soon I began passing a few people (and was passed by others).  As I rounded the last bouy I thought "really, we're done with the swim already?"  But out of the water I went, smiling like I had just won the lottery.

The bike and swim were less notable other than the rain.  Yep, we had not been spared the rain decided to come down in sheets.  I honestly thought it was hailing while I was on the bike.  It hurt!  But I managed the ride in good time and headed off on the run.  I alternated running and walking.  The last 2 miles of the 5K was a trail run.  Since it had been raining all morning and most of the previous night the trail was mud.  But it was so much fun splashing and sliding.  I just tried not to get hurt.  Finally I was done!  I had done it.  I had finished my first triathlon post gastric bypass!  I was thrilled.

(entering the water)


(Happy to Finish)

As I drove home to Wisconsin I began to feel like IM Augusta 70.3 was actually a possibility.  That I might actually be able to do this.  I had a super supportive husband, a great group of friends, and an online group of ladies at Obesity Help who encouraged me to continue my crazy triathlon adventures.  I cannot thank them all enough.  You know who you are!

The next race on the calendar was Triing for Childrens in Dousman, WI (local finally) on July 26th.  It was another Olympic distance triathlon and although this sprint had made me more confident in my abilities I still had doubts.  I knew Childrens wouldn't be easy but I also knew if I relaxed and took my time (hard to do in a race) I would finish.  And ultimately finishing was my primary goal...

No comments:

Post a Comment