Tuesday, October 27, 2015

2015 Tri Season Part IV (Irongirl + A History)

I only have two more races to write about, Irongirl Pleasant Prairie and my "A" race Augusta.  It's hard to believe that months of hard work amount to 5 blog posts.  Anyway, on to Irongirl!

Let me start by saying I love Irongirl!  Irongirl is a series of races specifically for women.  NO MEN ALLOWED (well, they can't compete but they can be volunteers and cheerleaders).  It's a sprint triathlon and it is put on by the same organization that puts on Ironmans and Ironman 70.3s.  Many people choose Irongirl as their first ever race because of the support and comradery out on the course.  Although it is a race, Irongirl in particular is about supporting one another.  Helping the newbies and encouraging everyone to do their best (whether that means a podium finish or just finishing).  

This was my first triathlon 2 years ago.  At that time I was 100 lbs heavier than I raced at this year.  To tell you the truth it was my Irongirl journey that prompted my decision for weight loss surgery.  I have a friend who got me into triathlon, she had done Irongirl PP a few times and loved it.  I thought it would be a great way to get in shape and do something athletic again.  

Here is a quick Nikki history lesson... In high school I played field hockey, basketball, soccer, and swam.  In college I even played Div. III field hockey.  But after I left school I got married and gained weight, went to grad school and gained weight, had children and gained even more weight.  Of course I dieted (who doesn't) and at times lost a lot of the weight, even 90 lbs on Weight Watchers after my daughter was born but I gained it all back.  I needed something to get me moving and this was my spark.

   (me in January 2013)

I began training in earnest for Irongirl PP in May 2013.  I couldn't run more than a 1/4 mile without stopping, I could barely ride 5 miles on my hybrid mountain bike, but I could swim.  Thank goodness for my lifelong love of swimming.  When I was 5 or 6 years old I began swimming on the local swim team.  I continued every summer until I was 12ish and then swam again competitively in high school.  Please do not confuse me saying "competitively" with actually winning anything.  I enjoy swimming but I have never been fast.  I have always been and continue to be a middle of the pack swimmer.

As I continued to train I repeatedly got hurt.  My knees were killing me, my hip, and my shoulder.  I got a cortisone shot in each of my knees.  I knew I would not be able to run the entire 5K but I wanted to do the race anyway.  We made a mini family vacation out of the race and I managed to finish the race. I even ran some of the 5K.  My time was 2 hr and 15 min.  Slow but the tri bug had bitten me hard!

(Finish Line 2013)

I hired a coach, bought a tri bike and as soon as I started training again and I was hurt again.  I realized that the extra weight I was carrying around was hurting me.  Well, it was doing more than just hurting me... my lipids were high, I had constant migraines and my BP was slowly adding numbers.  Despite multiple diets and attempts at exercise I was falling down a slippery slope.  Heart disease runs in my family.  My dad had a heart transplant at age 41 due to a massive heart attack.  My grandpa died of a heart attack (he had several over his life time).  I wanted to be around for my kids, so I started thinking.

In October 2013, I decided to make an appointment at the Weight Management Clinic to discuss whether I was a good candidate for surgery.  My hubbie thought I was crazy.  He said I didn't need surgery.  I could lose the weight the "hard way" and keep it off if I remained active.  I had tried so many times without success that I knew it wasn't true.  I went to the clinic and was told I was great candidate for surgery.  I still hadn't made up my mind.

A month later I went back to start my journey.  Doctor's appointments, nutritionist appointments, blood tests, Oh my!  I even found out I had sleep apnea and sleep studies are so much fun (please note sarcasm).  8 months later I went under the knife.  My life will never be the same but I am so happy for the opportunity I have been given.

Anyway, back to Irongirl PP 2015!  I convinced a friend from work to do her first triathlon and my old friend was doing the race as well.  The morning of the race I set up my transition area, met up with both friends, and walked over to the swim start.  I had no fear going into this race. I just wanted to have fun.  My swim was longer than I had hoped.  The swim was not wetsuit legal so I missed the bouyancy a wetsuit gives you.  I also placed myself behind more people than I should have.  I got stuck in bottlenecks quite a few times.

Out of the water and on to the bike.  It's a quick flat 12 mile course.  It seemed short (given that my training had been ramping up as of late).  Into transition and out onto the run.  I stopped and walked twice for short periods but I had a decent run.  My total time was 1 hr 37 min.  Almost 40 minutes faster than 2 years prior.  I was happy!

(Irongirl PP 2015)

It was a great day with good friends.  I knew this was my last race before Augusta and I was happy to have had an uneventful race day.  I knew that August and early September would be painful and looked forward to the next challenge.  

No comments:

Post a Comment