Monday, June 6, 2016

Live and Learn

This weekend was a good training weekend where I learned many lessons.  I am always amazed by how difficult diet and exercise can be even after almost two years with my new tummy.  After looking at the weather forecast for Saturday morning on Friday night I decided that riding out in thunderstorms was not for me.  I asked my coach for a long trainer workout to make up for my outdoor ride.  Let  me say I NEVER want to ride my trainer for longer than 2 hours ever again!!  Even with The Great British Baking Show, I was bored and sore.  Ahh...

Then came my run after 3 hours on the bike.  The first 5 miles were fine.  I stopped at the halfway point to take in some nutrition (Infinit and Shot Bloks) and felt like I was going to hurl.  I was horribly nauseous and could not figure out why.  I took off again and at 7 miles I stopped and sat down on a rock.  I was super nauseous and just couldn't keep going.  I called the hubbie and he came to my rescue.  

In the car he asked why I was so sick to my stomach.  I told him the calories I had taken and then he asked "What did you have for breakfast?"  Oh crap, breakfast?  Two cups of coffee does not a healthy breakfast make.  I failed to have any real food before I started my 5 hour workout.... lesson learned.  I will not repeat that mistake.  After  eating 1/4 of meatball sub leftover from my son's lunch (first thing I found) I was good as new.  

Sunday morning I participated in my second triathlon of the season.  The Lake Mills Triathlon is a sprint tri (400m swim, 16 mile bike, 5K run).  The weather was beautiful, well right up until 20 min before we got in the water.  The clouds rolled in and the wind began to blow.  Suddenly the fairly calm lake was whipped up into a fury.  The swells were high and whitecaps were out in full force.

The swim was difficult to say the least.  I only swam freestyle in short bursts (until the last 100m).  When I tried I would find myself breathing right into a swell.  I drank enough lake water to fuel me through the rest of the race but I made it through.  I was so crabby after the swim I yelled at my husband for zipping my wetsuit incorrectly (which he did not) because I was having such a hard time getting it off.  Oy!

(This is me yelling at my hubbie)

The bike was windy but good.  The run was great.  I kept up a good pace (for me) and finished strong.  The girl in red had passed me in the last mile on the trail.  I decided in the finisher's chute that I was not going to let her beat me.  So irrational given she was not in my age group and finished way ahead of me anyway.  But I did pass her :)

(Determined to beat the girl in red... I'm cray-cray)

(Happy on the bike)

Overall, a good race but not my best.  Just another training day.  Onto Espirit de She in Naperville IL this weekend.  I will be part of a relay team (swimming).  Two weeks until my half ironman here in Madison.  The summer is going fast.  Less than 100 days until IMWI.



No comments:

Post a Comment