Wednesday, May 4, 2016

Injury and Anticipation

Forgive me Father for I have sinned, it's been 3 months since my last blog post!

Wow!  It has really been FOREVER since I posted.  Now that Ironman Wisconsin is only 130 days away I will likely be posting more often.  I have so much swirling through my head and writing this blog helps me make sense of a lot of it.  


The last 3 months have been full of ups and downs.  I ran a 10k with friends in March and I had my best 10k ever! (Ok, ok so it’s my only too).  I joined a local triathlon team and training was going really well.  At least it was and then I had surgery 2 weeks ago and it all came to a screeching halt.

Displaying 20160313_094345.jpg
Displaying 20160313_094345.jpg

I was having intense pain in my abdomen when I stood up or was sitting down reaching to get something on.  It did not happen all the time (actually it was really infrequent) but when it did happen it was VERY painful.  I went to my surgeon in January and he thought it was a hernia.  Ordered CAT scan and nothing, nada, zippo.  Fast forward 4 months and pain starts coming more frequently.  Go back to dr. he says it is likely a hernia and we need to do surgery to fix it.  Schedule surgery, he opens me up and find nada, zip, zero.  Ugh!  He does clean up some adhesions but we have no idea what was causing the pain.  On the bright side, no similar pain since surgery but I also haven't been doing anything strenuous.  I guess only time will tell.


First race of the season, the St. Louis Triathlon is in 3 weeks.  I'm scared.  I have already done all the distances this year but being lazy the past few weeks definitely concerns me.  I have a 40 mile ride following by a 3 mile run this Saturday and a 9 mile run scheduled for Sunday (Happy Mother's Day to me).  If these go well I should regain some lost confidence.  

Getting it done :)
So, this is my promise.  I will blog at least once a week until IMWI.  I should have enough to talk about given how much my training is supposed to ramp up.  Hopefully I make it through this is one piece and my surgery will be the only real hurdle I have in my way.  As unlikely as that is I will continue to keep my fingers crossed.



St. Louis Triathlon  17 Days
Milkman 70.3  45 Days
Ironman Wisconsin  130 Days

No comments:

Post a Comment